Are You Ready For the Next Career Level…Really? by Tanya SmithJul 6th, 2010 | By Tanya Smith | Category: Career Coaching
The most difficult thing for us to do is to look in the mirror and assess ourselves honestly. We say that we’re 5’11 in height although we’re really 5’7. The scale says 215 lbs and we report 175. Why do we do this? It’s tough to self-assess, but this is one of the best things you can do to prepare to market yourself for a new job opportunity. I would like to personally invite you to use the following tips to get ready to launch the promotion you’ve been praying for.
Getting ready to market yourself for that next level career within your company means you must take a hard look in the mirror to decide what reality is right now and what we’re willing to do to step up your skills. You must prepare just like you do for an outside job or career change.
Here are 5 resources to help you with assessing where you are now so that you can genuinely compare it to where you really want to be in your career:
- Take a personality assessment that will help you identify strengths, special talents/skills.
- Work with a career mentor/coach to identify industries/job interests you might have a specific affinity for.
- Write out your work timeline showing experiences that stand out in your past work history and what has brought you to the present; then map out experiences you’d like to have in your future work.
- List out your top 10 work values – what is it that you can’t live without in a work environment? What would you absolutely have to have to enjoy complete career satisfaction?
- And finally, examine your past 3 performance evaluations – focus on contributions you have made that helped your company reach desired business results.
As you review the themes you’ve uncovered, open your heart to what God is telling you. Consider areas that you plan to market as strengths for the next level career and pray about the development you may require in order to achieve your career goals.
Now go get ready to take your career to the next level!
About the Author: Tanya Smith of Be Promotable shows ambitious working professionals how to get the promotion of their dreams. To get instant access to her free special report on surefire steps to getting the ideal job promotion stop by and visit http://www.bepromotable.com.