What is Coaching?Mar 16th, 2009 | By Tony Stoltzfus | Category: Top Coaching Searches
Excerpted from the book, Leadership Coaching
Simply stated, coaches are change experts who help leaders take responsibility to maximize their own potential. Learning to coach is learning to set up relationships that provide the exact kind of support a leader needs to radically pursue his or her God-given destiny. A coach is a true friend and a close confidant on the path of life, someone who often hears, “I’ve never told this to anyone before, but…” A coach is someone who sees you as made in the image of God, and tells you the truth about who you really are. A coach pushes you to think, to stretch yourself, to take responsibility for your life and get done what you know you need to do. A coach is also someone who will hold you accountable, challenge you to live out your values or even occasionally give you a swift kick in the pants when you need it.
Coaches are many things, but the essence of coaching is believing in people. Nothing is more empowering, nothing causes us to reach higher and accomplish greater good than having people in our lives who love us for who we are and believe in us unconditionally. That is what Christ does for us — love us for who we were made to be. Coaching is a conscious imitation of the way that Jesus looks at us and the way that God develops leaders.
Definitions of Coaching
- “Coaches are change experts who help leaders take responsibility to maximize their own potential.”
- “Coaching is like having a personal trainer for every area of your life.”
- “Coaching is the discipline of believing in people to empower them to change.”
- “Coaching is unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their growth.” John Whitmore
- “Coaching is the art and practice of guiding a person or group from where they are toward the greater competence and fulfillment that they desire.” Gary Collins
- “Mentoring is imparting to you what God has given me; coaching is drawing out of you what God has put in you.” Dale Stoll
To read more about what coaching is, read the entire book chapter this article is taken from at Coach22.com
By Tony Stoltzfus